Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Somewhere good. REVIEW of "Where She Went" by Gayle Forman

Where She Went Why this book?: I read "If I Stay" not long ago, and it was so good, I just had to get the sequel when it was released. Also... it's due back today, so had to read it NOW and return it.

Disclaimer: I do not own this book, nor was I given it in exchange for a review. This book is on loan to me from my local library.

Type: Sequel, Teen Fiction, Crossover to adult fiction, Years Later, Epic loves, Dealing with tragedy

Publisher: Dutton Books.
Pages: 260.

About the book: It's been three years since Adam's love saved Mia after the accident that annihilated life as she knew it... and three years since Mia walked out of Adam's life forever. Now living on opposite coasts, Mia is Juilliard's rising star and Adam is L.A. tabloid fodder, thanks to his new rock star status and celebrity girlfriend. When Adam gets stuck in New York by himself, chance brings the couple together again, for one last night. As they explore the city that has become Mia's home, Adam and Mia revisit the past and open their hears to the future - and each other. (From the bookjacket)

My Review: "Where She Went" is just as emotionally charged as "If I Stay." The first book, from Mia's perspective, followed her journey from the accident to waking up from the coma, and her battle with herself over staying alive or dying with her family. In "Where She Went," Mia is back, but this time we see her through Adam's eyes, and how he dealt with the horror of the crash, and almost losing Mia. After the accident, Mia had Adam and family to help her deal, but Adam had no one to lean on, and when Mia dumped him, he had no one at all. While that may have been good for Adam's music career, since it gave him the passion to write the songs that rocketed his band to stardom, it was so painful for Adam. And the reader really sees how this hurt has changed him. The glimpses of him and Mia in the past, and how he acts in the present, are so blindingly different. My heart broke for Adam in this book. It felt like he was stuck in some hellish limbo.

"Where She Went" is beautifully, almost poetically, written. You really feel Adam's emotions, and I'll admit it, my heart broke for him. There was no epic mistake made by Adam or Mia in the past that tore them apart, it wasn't one person's fault. Something terrible happened, and they were left to deal with the aftermath. Things just fell apart. But when Adam and Mia meet again in this book, it takes them a while, but they find a way to deal with that pain, to get past it, and maybe find a way to really live again.

Cover Loving: I'm not feeling great about this cover. Yes, this book is about Adam AND Mia... but it's from Adam's perspective and Adam's journey.. I think it should be a male on the cover. Or made to look more like the older "If I Stay" covers.

Recommendation: If you need a good, but sad, book, definitely pick up both "If I Stay" and "Where She Went." Maybe you need an epic love story, or you just want a good cry/sniffle.. these books are perfect. I actually think this book would be good for both guys and girls, if the guys can get past the kinda girly cover.

Final Rating: FIVE out of FIVE (5/5). I really loved 'Where She Went." I stayed up way later than I should, glued to the page and to Adam's story. Excellent sequel to an equally good first book. Make sure to pick up both "If I Stay" and "Where She Went" by Gayle Forman!

Have you read "If I Stay" or "Where She Went"?  Do you think the sequel measured up to the first? Tell me your thoughts in the comments! Want to pick up a copy? Get it from Amazon.com!

Happy Reading!
~!~ Amanda ~!~

No comments: