Wednesday, January 26, 2011

And it rode a black horse - Review of "Hunger" by Jackie Morse Kessler

Hunger Why this book?: A friend and fellow librarian suggested it after she read it. I'm rather glad I took her advice.

Disclaimer: This is a library book. I did not receive this book, nor anything else, in exchange for a review.

Type: Young Adult, Series (I think), Paranormal, Apocalypse, Life issues that make you shake, Death is kinda cool in the grunge rocker sort of way.

About the book: Lisabeth Lewis is not anorexic. Suicidal, maybe, but not anorexic. She's too fat to be anorexic, she just works out and counts calories. Lisa thought it was another weird dream, some weird twisting of her hungry thoughts - but no. Death really was at her door, and he really did name her Famine, one of the four horsemen. Armed with a set of scales and a black horse, Lisa must become one of the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse, or face Death as more than just a coworker.

Review: Wow. This book is just... wow. So much power packed into such a small container. At only 174 pages, Hunger is deep, soulful, and packs one heck of a punch. I don't really know what I thought it would be about when I starting reading, except that the Horsemen of the Apocalypse were involved, but the story blew me out of the water. This isn't just a teen novel where a girl has an eating disorder, finds herself, and gets over it - "Hunger" is so much more than that. And what a scary, accurate portrayal of anorexia it is - Lisa weighing herself, hearing the Thin Voice tell her how many calories are in everything, the numb feeling, the loss of balance and the lightheadedness. I've read some scary stories, but this story was positively bone chilling.

Lisa is.. fascinating. I assume it was due to her anorexia and suicidal tendencies that made Death choose her as the new Famine, but maybe Death just picked someone at random. But who better to fulfill the role? Lisa's transformation into the Horseman was frightening and oddly.. right, fitting maybe. And Kessler's portrayal of the other Horsemen, Death especially, kept me on the edge of my seat with fascination and excitement. I might even say I'm in love with this book... and maybe a little with Death, there needs to be more Death.

Cover Loving: Definitely. A simple, yet gorgeous cover, perfect for "Hunger."

Recommendation: Oh yes. The second I finished this book, the word "Original" came to mind. And that's what it is - something new and fresh, something tragic and beautiful, and just right, just perfect.

Final rating: FIVE out of FIVE (5/5). It's been a while since I gave something a perfect rating, but this book definitely deserves it. "Hunger" is one of the keeper shelves. And I hope to check out "Rage" (War's story) coming later this year.

Have you read "Hunger"? Share your thoughts in the comments. Want to read it? Pick up your copy today from Amazon.com via the link on the left.

Until next time, campers..
~!~ Amanda ~!~

No comments: