Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Whatcha Got Wednesday, and a couple DNFs

It's time for another installment of "Whatcha Got Wednesday!"

The only book I received this week is "Edge of Sight" by Roxanne St. Claire. I was lucky enough to win this one in a contest being offered by the author - So thank you Roxanne! It's been added to the TBR pile, and I can't wait to read it. :) Want your own copy? Voila! A link to Amazon.com on the left!

Now, as mentioned in the post title, I'm also going to talk about two DNFs (Did Not Finish)- unfortunately, they both occured on the same day. I started reading Halo by Alexandra Adornetto, and I was so disappointed. This book fully embodies the old saying "don't judge a book by its cover." Such a gorgeous cover image, and it felt like nothing happened in the book. In fact, It took until around page 400 for there to be any real action, and even more time for there to be a villain. Bethany seemed more like a petulant child than an angel, and Xavier, the boy she loves, had no character flaws - which made him seem so less human. Finally, I made the decision to put this book down, and not waste any more time on it. I had much better things to read!

So after setting "Halo" aside, I picked up another Young Adult Fiction book, also featuring angels, called Eternal by Cynthia Leitich Smith. I figured this one HAD to be better than "Halo." And while there was action in "Eternal"... indeed, from the fifth page or so, I couldn't get into Miranda's character, especially once she had her little mishap in the cemetary. And her relationship with her "master" just made me uncomfortable. So after forcing myself to read way more pages than I wanted incase it got better, I gave up once again.

What are your thoughts on DNF (Did Not Finish) books? At one point does a book become not worth your time?

Happy Reading!
~!~ Amanda, aka Morning Glow~!~

No comments: