Thursday, September 16, 2010

Review of "The Falling Away" by T.L. Hines

The Falling Away Don't forget to enter my contest for a ebook by HP Mallory! Enter here! 

I will say this... I do rather like that cover. It's so.. bright. And wind turbine-y.

Disclaimer: I received this book from Booksneeze, aka Thomas Nelson, in exchange for a review.

Type: Christian Fiction, Thriller, Cults, Adult, Drugs, Cutting.

From the back of the book: "  He has a unique name...and a unique problem. A member of Montana's Crow Tribe, he is called Dylan Runs Ahead. But that name couldn't be more off, because he's spent years running away--from his family, his people, his past...and himself. Now he's running out of places to run.
He's haunted by his younger sister's disappearance, the recent death of a friend, and his impending sense of being chosen for something of great importance. But before Dylan can figure out what it really means to be chosen, and whether he's going to embrace the cost of that calling, he's going to have to slow down and face the demons he's been running from. Demons that are all too real...and aren't about to back down.
Enter a world where things aren't quite what they seem...a novel bursting with supernatural suspense, well-crafted characters, and spiritual insights that will defy your expectations and leave you both breathless and hopeful.   "

I'm going to say right off the bat that this was not my sort of book. I was extremely interested in the storyline when I heard about it, hence why I requested a copy to review, but this was not something I enjoyed. I'm still a little amazed I managed to get through it all. And as I said, it did have an interesting storyline, I just couldn't follow the book.

The male main character, Dylan's, story generally moves forward in a straight line. He has moments where he thinks about the past, but mostly in quick little flashback scenes, and the reader knows that's what's going on. But the female lead, Quinn, her story moves all over the place. We meet her in the present, and then each scene after that, the reader has to guess from the actions if that scene is in the present, or her past. Sometimes it's easy to pick up on, sometimes not so much until another character is introduced. I'm usually pretty good about keeping track of characters and where they are in different timelines, being a fan of science fiction... that can happen a lot. But I will admit to getting lost several times throughout the course of this book.

Not only was it hard to follow, but there was another big issue I had - it seems the members of The Falling Away (which seemed rather cult-ish to me, and therefore incredibly creepy), all have a compulsion (or need) to do something. With one guy it's obsessively washing his hands, with Quinn it's cutting or hurting herself. I'm an adult, I can deal with things like that, people have these problems, I get it. But I did not like that these issues were considered okay and even a good outlet for the members of The Falling Away to deal with the stress of their lives. Cutting or hurting yourself should not be seen as okay or acceptable. There was one scene where Quinn was toying with a staple she has pushed into her arm and just left there. That scene alone was hard to get through.

As I said, I didn't really enjoy this book. I won't go into any more detail to avoid any possible spoilers.. so I'll just get right into the rating. I'd rate it a ONE POINT FIVE out of FIVE (1.5/5). It was confusing, but the story was interesting.. just done poorly in my opinion. But feel free to check it out for yourself and find something to prove me wrong.

Have you read it? Tell me your thoughts in the comments. Want to read it? Find it at Amazon.com

Until next time, Happy Reading
~!~ Morning Glow

No comments: