Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Review of "Covet" by J.R. Ward

You think since I love any and all things vampires, I would have read the Black Dagger Brotherhood series by J. R. Ward, right? Well, actually.. Nope! "Covet" was the first book by J. R. Ward I've ever read, and wow.

From the back of the book:
" Redemption isn't a word Jim Heron knows much about - his specialty is revenge, and to him, sin is all relative. But everything changes when he becomes a fallen angel and is charged with saving the souls of seven people from the seven deadly sings. And failure isn't an option.

Vin diPietro has surrendered himself to his business - until fate intervenes in the form of a tough-talking, Harley-riding, self-professed savior, and a woman who makes him question his destiny. With an ancient evil ready to claim him, Vin has to work with a fallen angel not only to win his beloved over... but to redeem his very soul. "

When I started reading this book, after learning about the great "ball game" for earth, and meeting Jim, I honestly thought I was in for something fun. Some quickly read, humorous romance that leaves me with a happy feeling at the end. But this book really blew me away. It was darker than I expected, and it had me so hooked I was up until 4am last night reading it. And when it was over, I'll be honest with you all, I wanted to cry. I'm not sure why.. maybe relief, or maybe because I felt like I was going with Jim on this new phase in his life.

I assume this will be a series, since Jim has to help seven people, and Vin was just the first. So that means that the questions I have from the first one will, hopefully, be answered. Such as, I'd like to know more about his organization that Jim used to work for. It gets to be pretty obvious what he did, but.. so much is left out. It's maybe a little too secretive for my taste. And Jim's tattoo.. I want to know more about it. I'm fairly positive I know what it means, but I'd like to have my suspicions confirmed or denied.

I'm so happy I read this book, really. "Covet" actually makes me want to go back and try to read the Black Dagger Brotherhood novels. I tried them, I really did, but I couldn't get past the first twenty some odd pages of the first book. But I got so emotionally invested in the characters from "Covet," I want to see if J.R. Ward can make me feel that way in the others, as well.

As for the rating, I'm giving "Covet" by J. R. Ward FIVE out of FIVE stars. It's heart warming, wrenching, and just.. good. As I said, I got extremely invested in this story, in Jim and Vincent's life, and I hope against all hope that I can read more about Jim soon. I love this, I am definitely re-reading it again (and again, and again), and I'm recommending this to.. everyone I know, probably.

Happy Reading! And be sure to check out "Covet" by J. R. Ward if you haven't already!
~!~ Morning Glow

Disclaimer:
Book was purchased by the reviewer. Neither book nor money was given in exchange for the review.

1 comment:

Amanda from Novel Addiction said...
This comment has been removed by the author.