Sunday, January 3, 2010

Review of "Wolf Signs" by Vivian Arend



I discovered author Vivian Arend's blog some months ago, and absolutely fell in love with the snippets I read of her book "Wolf Signs," the first of the Granite Lake Wolves series. And when I won my choice of ebooks from Samhain publishing, can you guess what I chose?

About the book (From samhainpublishing.com):
Robyn Maxwell doesn’t care that her brother has to cancel out on their backcountry ski trip. She can do it alone. The fact she’s deaf doesn’t make her survival skills any weaker. The chance to get away from it all and relax in the Yukon wilderness is just what she’s been craving.
Meeting wilderness guide Keil at the cabin starts cravings of another kind. Keil’s one hot hunk of ripped, tasty male. Now she has to deal with raging hormones as well as strange questions about wolves and mates and challenges to the death.
Keil was trying for a nice reflective retreat before challenging for the Alpha position of his Alaskan pack. He wasn’t planning on meeting the woman destined to be his mate, or finding out she’s not aware she has the genes of a wolf.
Between dealing with his accident-prone younger brother, a deaf mate with an attitude and an impending duel to the death, his week—and his bed—is suddenly full.

I loved the character of Robyn, the word "spitfire" comes to mind. Despite having what most people would consider a handicap, Robyn is rough and tough. And Keil - yummy! It was interesting to see them do their best to communicate, most of the time with Robyn using a piece of paper. And you can tell the author took the time to learn at least some signs, I recognized a few as accurate, though I'm far from fluent. And what a way to find out someone is your mate, than to read his lips while he's talking to his brother. Of course, she finds that out before she finds out she's a wolf, I can only imagine the confusion. I really enjoyed this book, and I can't wait to get my hands on the second (which I believe is called "Wolf Flight") to read.

Vivian Arend writes several series, and after reading this one, I'm eager to try out the others.. especially the Six Pack Ranch series. I'm for anything that's called Six Pack Ranch. It just brings up such delicious images.

As for Wolf Signs, I give it a FOUR out of FIVE stars. I really liked it, I'm glad I got it, and I will definitely check out the sequel, which I believe features Robyn's brother. I hope you get a chance to check out Wolf Signs, and if not definitely check out any of Vivian Arend's other series!

Happy Reading!
~!~Morning Glow

No comments: