Sunday, January 10, 2010

Review of "Truly, Madly" by Heather Webber



I just finished another book, which means - yay! Another review! And I'm super excited about this one! Not only have I found a new series that I know I'll enjoy, but I've actually gotten a chance to meet Heather Webber when she came to my local library to speak. On with the review!

Release date: February 2, 2010

The synopsis:

Lucy Valentine is as smart as can be, as single as you can get, and so not qualified to run a matchmaking service. But when her parents temporarily step down from the family business, Valentine, Inc., it’s Lucy’s turn to step up and help out—in the name of love.
Plus, her rent is due.
Here’s the problem: Lucy doesn’t have the knack for matchmaking. According to family legend, every Valentine has been blessed by Cupid with the ability to read “auras” and pair up perfect couples. But not Lucy. Her skills were zapped away years ago in an electrical surge, and now all she can do is find lost objects. What good is that in the matchmaking world? You’d be surprised. In a city like Boston, everyone’s looking for something. So when Lucy locates a missing engagement ring—on a dead body—she asks the sexy private eye who works upstairs to help her solve the perfect crime. And who knows? Maybe she’ll find the perfect love while she’s at it…

I received this book via Librarything.com's Member Giveaway program, in exchange for a review. It wasn't until I was showing the book to my mother and commenting on how I was excited to read it (I loved the beginning, interesting/funny way to start a book) that she reminded me that Heather Webber was one of the local authors I had a chance to meet a year or so ago. She was extremely nice, and of course, I'm always up for supporting a local author! In fact, you can find her webpage here , including a link to her blog.

I thoroughly enjoyed "Truly, madly".. in fact, I practically inhaled it. I loved the character of Lucy Valentine, she was extremely believable. And the delicious private eye? Yum. I believed, and am now a huge fan of, all the characters, and I really can't wait for the second book ( "Deeply, Desperately" ) which is supposedly set to be released in August of 2010. The plot was intriguing, kept adding little twists and turns, all without confusing the reader, which is a definite plus. In fact, as for the big mystery, it had me guessing until the end! And what a good ending it was. It's books like these that make me want to go out and do something like be a private investigator, or, in Lucy's case, be involved in matchmaking that leads to private investigating and solving a murder.

For fans of Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plum series, this is a great book to pick up. It has more of a supernatural edge (being that Lucy is a psychic), but I did see some similarities. But while the Stephanie Plum series is starting to have it's moments of complete stale-ness, Lucy Valentine is something new and fresh, and a character I don't see myself getting tired of.

I'm going to rate this book a solid FIVE out of FIVE. I loved it, I can't wait for the next one, and I will definitely recommend it to.. pretty much everyone. I think there is something for most, if not all, readers to enjoy in "Truly, Madly" by Heather Webber.

I hope you all get a chance to read "Truly, Madly" by Heather Webber when it is released February 2, 2010. And then "Deeply, Desperately" when it is released later this year!
Happy Reading!
~!~ Morning Glow

Book received in exchange for review.
Photo courtesy of Heather Webber's website.

No comments: